Byron Colby Barn Home | About | Prices & Capacities | Upcoming Events | Past Events
Testimonials | Specifications & Restrictions | Preferred Vendors | Photo Gallery
The Byron Colby Barn is owned and operated by the Liberty Prairie Foundation, and is used in support of
our mission. The Barn's various uses are aligned with the Prairie Crossing guiding principles of life-long
learning and education, a sense of community, and a sense of place.
Planning a community event or performance? The Byron Colby Barn may be available at a discounted rate for public performances and events aligned with the mission of the Liberty Prairie Foundation. If you would like your public event to be considered for this discounted rate, review the event criteria here and email your proposal to email@example.com.
As a beautiful and unique venue, the Barn is also popular for private rentals, including elegant "do it
yourself" barn weddings and receptions.
- Up to 160 guests can be accommodated comfortably for sit-down dinners or meetings inside the
Barn, with seating both on the main floor and loft.
The Barn features 15 wooden tables and 110 chairs on the main floor. In addition, we have 6 round
tables and 36 antique chairs in the loft.
2013 is nearly sold out. Please call Kim DeRose at 847-543-1202 for availability and pricing.
Monday - Thursday
- Please call Kim DeRose at 847-543-1202 for availability and pricing
Friday ($600 deposit)
Saturday or Saturday equivalent ($700 deposit)
Sunday ($600 deposit)
- $1,995 for events with less than 75 attendees
The Byron Colby Barn is available to rent 7 days a week during the following hours:
- Monday: 12:00 noon - 10:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
- Friday: 9:00 a.m. - midnight
- Saturday: 9:00 a.m. - midnight
- Sunday: 11:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Please contact Kim DeRose at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-543-1202 to schedule a showing of the
Barn, discuss availability, and review contract terms.
The rental contract must be signed and returned with your deposit check to reserve the Barn. The
deposit check will be cashed to reserve the date for your event and serve as a damage deposit. The
rental fee and any additional fees are due 10 working days prior to your event.
Deposits are non-refundable for any cancellation received after 10 days from the date of the contract.
Your deposit, minus any damages, will be returned to you within two weeks after your event.
One month prior to your event, Kim DeRose will contact you to schedule a meeting to review the details of your event. Please complete the Event Details worksheet in advance, and bring it with you to this meeting.
What is included in the rental fee?
- 15 antique wooden tables and 110 chairs on the main floor, for use inside only.
- 6 round tables and 36 antique wooden chairs in the loft, which must remain in the loft.
- 3 cabaret tables that can be raised from regular to highboy height, for use inside or outside.
- 5 event hours from ceremony start time to last dance.
- Beautiful tree-lined Market Square for your ceremony, cocktails, etc.
- Flexibility to select from excellent caterers on our Preferred Vendors List.
- Unique bar setting inside the Barn's silo (while the Barn is air-conditioned and heated,
the silo is not.)
- Additional equipment including Yamaha Nippon Gakki piano, 3 highchairs, podium,
microphone, wifi, 2 step stools, and a ladder.
- Flexibility to purchase your own beverages for the bar, a significant cost savings.
- Assorted materials to decorate the Barn. Please see Details and Specifications for
- Free decoration time as early as 9 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, and 11 a.m. on Sunday.
Your exclusive use of the Barn begins at the time designated in your rental agreement.
Barn staff may show the Barn during your decoration hours, but not during your rental
- Reasonable rehearsal time for weddings with on-site ceremony on Thursday afternoon/evening, or Friday or
Saturday between 2-3 p.m.
- Gorgeous photo opportunities at Prairie Crossing's gazebo, horse pasture, beach, prairie, and
limestone overlook at Lake Aldo Leopold.
- Byron Colby Barn Host at your event to help things run smoothly.
Are there extra charges?
- Rent Prairie Crossing's gazebo for your ceremony for an extra $275.
- Select a professional caterer that is not on our Preferred Vendors List for an extra $200. All caterers must have their own commercial kitchen, provide professional
serving staff at the event, and provide a certificate of insurance.
- Extend your event hours for an additional $250 per hour.
- For Friday weddings, reserve the Barn for early decoration beginning Thursday at 9 a.m. for an
What additional vendors will be needed for my event?
- A professional licensed caterer must provide all food service. See the Preferred Vendor List for more information.
- A licensed and insured bartender must be hired to operate your bar, either through your caterer
or through the Preferred Vendor List. Cash bars are prohibited unless a
license is obtained from the Village of Grayslake.
- Exterior tables, chairs, tents, etc. can be rented from the Preferred Vendor List or other rental companies.
- Preferred Vendor List also provides recommendations for DJ service,
hotel accommodations, and more.
To experience The Byron Colby Barn is to fall in love with it. To schedule a showing, or for further information, please contact:
The Byron Colby Barn is available to rent seven days a week, and is located at:
1561 Jones Point Road
Grayslake, Illinois 60030
Byron Colby Barn Home | About | Event Rentals | Upcoming Events | Past Events
Testimonials | Details and Specifications | Photo Gallery